Robert Troy TD is the Minister of State with responsibility for Trade Promotion at the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment. He was appointed to this role in July 2020.
He is the Fianna Fáil TD for Longford/Westmeath. He was elected to Dáil Éireann on his first attempt in the February 2011 general election and has been re-elected in both the 2016 & 2020 general elections.
Before entering the Dáil he served for seven years as an elected member of Westmeath County Council.
He has been a Frontbench party Spokesperson since his election to Dáil Éireann. His various briefs have covered Arts & Heritage, Children & Youth Affairs, Transport, Tourism & Sport and most recently Business, Enterprise & Innovation. He has served on the Oireachtas Committee on Business, Enterprise and Innovation. He was also a member of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport. For the past three years he has also been a member of the Council of Europe and during this time has spoken in the European Parliament on a range of social issues.
Westmeath County Council:
He was first elected to Westmeath County Council in 2004. During his time as County Councilor our area experienced many improvements and he was delighted have had the opportunity to work closely with various voluntary organizations in pursuit of these developments.
During Robert’s time as a Councilor he:
- Organised a seminar in 2010 for the unemployed to offer guidance and advice to enable people to return to the workforce.
- Promoted and increased investment in infrastructure in the area covering issues ranging from increased broadband coverage to road and pavement improvements
- Promoted my constituency as an attractive area for new companies to do business in, while supporting and liaising with existing local businesses
Additionally, he is proud of his membership and involvement in the following groups:
- Co-coordinator North Westmeath Suicide Outreach Group
- Volunteer/Fundraiser North Westmeath Hospice
- Treasurer Ballynacargy GAA
- Ballynacargy Tidy Towns
- Westmeath VEC
- Mullingar’s Town Team
While Ireland is undoubtedly facing difficult times at present, I believe that these challenges present a great opportunity for reform within politics and across the political process.
As a young person, who is working and living in the area, I have first-hand knowledge of many of the difficulties that the people of Westmeath-Longford are facing, both financially and socially. It is this knowledge, along with what I have learnt from serving as a County Councilor, that has placed me in a ideal position to have your issues raised at the national political level.
I have always practiced strong values such as integrity, honesty and fairness. Furthermore I have always placed the wishes of the people who elected be at the top of my agenda – and will continue to do so.
- St Patrick’s Day Programme – Virtual Trade
- Applications Open For Phase 1 of €8,000 Grant Under New Small Business Assistance Scheme for COVID (SBASC)
- Call for Application for Community Development Pilot Projects
- Extension to CE and TÚS Scheme contracts
- €6.5m total funding approved for Mullingar Hospital