Book a Tour
Member Sponsored Tour Information (Book a Tour)
People wishing to take a tour can do so by contacting Deputy Troy with details of the preferred date and time, the number in the party and the name and contact details of the lead person in the group. Tours are particularly popular with classes both at primary and secondary level.
Arrangements will then be made directly with the Events Desk. During the tour you will learn about the history of the building and the traditions of Ireland’s rich parliamentary heritage.
Tours are available on Mondays to Fridays at 10.30am, 11.30am, 2.30pm and 3.30pm. The tour entrance point is via the Kildare Street Gate and the duration is approximately 45 minutes.
Brief History of Leinster House and the Oireachtas
Leinster House was originally known as Kildare House after James Fitzgerald, the Earl of Kildare, commissioned the built between 1745-47. On becoming the Duke of Leinster in 1776 the house was renamed Leinster House. Nearly 40 years later in 1815, the mansion was sold to the Royal Dublin Society whose purpose was to improve the conditions of the people. Since 1922 Leinster House has served as the parliamentary building for Ireland.
Today, Leinster House holds the two Houses of the Oireachtas (National Parliament), comprising Dáil Éireann (the House of Representatives) and Seanad Éireann (the Senate). The first Dáil met in the Mansion House, the residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin, on the 21st of January 1919. During this time the Members adopted a Provisional Constitution and approved a Declaration of Independence.